September 29, 2010

Grindin'

Found four records from my old collection buried underneath a box of Christmas lights. Joe Buddens - Pump It Up, Clipse - Grindin, 50 Cent - In the Club, and Lethal Weapon #60. If you don't know what Lethal Weapon is, its a compilation of around 6 or 7 songs with usually 1 or 2 hit singles along with some breakout tracks from other artists.

Granted, there was a lot of hissing and popping since i kinda fucked these records up when I was learning how to spin (and scratch on these haha, especially that damn 50 Cent record). Weird feeling to hear music pumping out of my setup with my computer off. I miss seeing my collection of records grow with all these crazy ass record sleeves and checking out the art work on some of them. My mixes would be confined to what's in my crate or whatever I could borrow until I saved up enough money to hit up Ultrasounz in San Bruno and buy a record or two. The first party I spun at, a house party in the high school day, I brought 30 records and played the shit out of all of them. Now I have thousands of songs on my hard drive and spend all this time indexing and organizing it. And then I think of my humble box of vinyl that I would rearrange in these different "progressions" and how I used to make notes in a 25 cent composition notebook of which play order worked best. 

I'm not trying to hate on how the move to MP3 changed DJ'ing. Many of the older DJ's say that it ripped some of the soul out of the art, made it too accessible and made the DJ indiscriminate of what they choose to play. I can understand that, definitely, there's some pretty shitty music out there and it seems like there's hardly any refuge for someone that doesn't want to spin whats on the radio and still get paid. 

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I realized that I think I've been resting on my laurels a bit because of the technology itself. I pushed myself to practice a lot harder when it was just straight records, the decks, and my shit mixer. Not that I don't practice with diligence now,  I'm still grindin! I love what technology has done for DJ'ing, yet on the other hand I think its whack that there are people out there that wouldn't survive a mix without their computer. But hey, how could you tell anyways when we live in an age where the computer itself is a crucial part of your setup.  I'm not tr ying to sound bitter, but after playing with vinyl it seems like DJ'ing just jumped to another dimension. I guess you could say it was nostalgia that made me post about this.

Putting these ancient relics in a safe place

"She know the DJ, he on serato"
Baby Bash - Outta Control

No comments:

Post a Comment